PanLex is a project of The Long Now Foundation. Information about PanLex addressed to the public is located at the public PanLex website.
This site contains documentation for those who wish to develop, or already develop, PanLex content, PanLex technology, or PanLex-powered applications. These are the three kinds of PanLex developers. PanLex team members, interns, volunteers, partners, and unaffiliated developers all do PanLex development. If you are a PanLex developer, please comment so we can make the site work better for you.
What do you want to develop?
PanLex content developers discover, document, and edit billions of translations among the words of the languages of the world. Specifically, they do:
- Source acquisition: finding sources, registering them, and storing them in the PanLex source archive.
- Source consultation: using sources to add content to the PanLex database.
- Content curation: editing content in the PanLex database.
PanLex technology developers improve and document the design and infrastructure of the PanLex database and of its human and program interfaces. Specifically, they do:
- Database development: improving the PanLex database.
- Interface development: improving the PanLex database’s human and program interfaces.
- Infrastructure development: improving the servers that host the PanLex database and its interfaces.
PanLex application developers design programs to query the PanLex database. The main existing applications are listed at the main PanLex website. It is convenient to document problems and solutions for three (partly overlapping) specific kinds:
- API-based applications: programs that use the PanLex API to submit queries.
- Snapshot-based applications: programs that query copies (“snapshots”) of database tables, rather than the database itself. We make copies of tables available every month. You can retrieve them and use them to furnish data that your programs require.
- Linked-data applications: programs that make or use links between PanLex data and other data. These programs can be either API-based or snapshot-based.
Becoming a PanLex developer
Do you want to become a PanLex developer? We invite you to study the documentation here. Please let us know what changes would make this site more effective.